Monday, September 27, 2010

Geography


One of the things I love about living in the SW Desert, is the fact that you can see for miles. Also, the very land you walk on has remained the same for thousands of years. The Apaches lived here and made very small footprints on the land, living in those little wicciups that they made out of desert scrap. They hunted for their food and ate cactus as a vegetable and for medicine. When you walk across this desert, you can easily imagine the Apaches walking in the same places, nothing has changed. The Desert is living history.

Iknow the advantages of living in the midwest, south and west. I have never lived east of east texas so I only know about how that looked to me when on vacation. The far west has the best weather over-all, but it is not nearly perfect. Some people think our weather is perfect. I probably would agree with this if I was younger and had better circulation. For now, the winter nights are just so cold to me. The south is great if you can handle the humidity and the bugs, especially the mosquitos and the giant roaches! The midwest has long cold winters, hot humid summers, and not for me. The best thing about the midwest, is the four distinct seasons.

I am glad that we settled in this part of the country. Deming is nice little town, good for old retired folks since this town has many opportunities and facilities for senior citizens. Deming is not a vacation destination. Most of our families live on the west coast and the 680 mile drive appears very difficult for them. Before we made the move from San Bernardino, Ca., we would drive to Deming approx. 4 times a year. We would have breakfast at Dennys in San Bernardino, drive all day, stopping for lunch and potty breaks for our little doggies, and arriving at dinner time. Slow, easy drive. Our families seem to find this a very difficult drive and to us, it was just an adventure.:)

6 comments:

Lynilu said...

I agree with you, Moni, but I could add the SW mountains to the formula. I really enjoy the generally mild weather in our state. As for walking the land and feeling the presence of past residents, oh yes. All the time. We are blessed to have found our personal Nirvanas, aren't we?

I'd love it if more people found time/effort to visit, but I kinda figure each of us has that which we are able to make ourselves do. These days, it sounds like people are just too busy to take off on adventures. I know you remember with me the days when a Sunday afternoon drive was a fun family event! Things are so different now.

moni said...

quiliesYou know Lyn, I'm not even sure that people go for "drives" anymore. Seems everyone is so busy, every trip becomes a destination unto itself.

~mel said...

I love my four distinct seasons that we have here up north; but... I sure get jealous of the geese when I see them flying south in the fall. I told my sister in Texas... no matter what ~ don't ever sell your property down there because some day we (meaning her and I) will be spending our winters in the south and our summers up north.

Anonymous said...

The problem for us is that we drive all the time in our work. And really, the last thing we want to do is drive in our time off. Further, being self employed is tricky. If we don't work, we don't get paid..so to spend a full day in a car each way is expensive! I like to visit people rather than look at things anyway :) But I love our neck of the woods. We are 1 hour from the mountains if we want to see snow, less than an hour to the beach, 1 hour to L.A. and 1 1/4 hours to Palm Springs. So I'd say we have the best of it all. We can see all the seasons whenever we want to take that hour drive :)

Every part of the country has its advantages to be sure. That's why we all live in different areas. I'm ok with concrete..and Teresa, well she likes it green. So we each live where we have what we want.

moni said...

I do understand what it takes to make a living these days. All those attractive things about the inland empire were what attracted me years ago, but not anything that would interest us at our age.Way too many people out there, too much smog and too much crime. We were surprised at the number of "cops" episodes in Rancho, I remember it as being a quiet bedroom community.

Paula said...

We still go for drives mostly because it is something I love to do. The more country the road and the more ramshackle the houses the better I like it.