Thursday, October 14, 2010

life changes

It has been an interesting week. I have all the equipment that I shall need when my chf advances to end stage. I'm not sure, but it is probably already at that point. I have my oxygen and it has helped me sleep much better, which surprised me since it is only at 2 liters. My hospital bed is taking some getting use to as I have had a queen-sized bed to myself for 20 years, and now I have cute little motorchair, a "jazzy" which I also must adjust to; it has a lot of power and wants to run "fast". Also, I have ordered an overbed table to keep the things I need close by.

I don't want my room to look like a "sick room", and I don't think that it does. I could use a larger screen tv, but nobody has everything.

Our weather has been perfect, highs in the low 80s or near 80. lows in the mid to lower 40s. No rain in sight! Really nice breezes and if our leaves had turned, they would be blowing everywhere; but, they are still nice and green and clinging to the trees.

I talked to my son today, and he is coming to visit me for my birthday, which is November 6th. I will be 76 years, lol. Don't know where all those years went, that's for sure. He plans to stay in Tucson with his new family over the holidays and that is fine with me, it is where he needs to be. We are going to keep our holidays as usual with less decorating for Christmas. I enjoy the holiday spirit but we don't need all the work.

We have our three dogs and now two kitties, so we really do have a family here. They all depend on me and floyd making a home for them, and we do so gladly.:) Time for bed, wishing everyone a happy Fall :)

4 comments:

Lynilu said...

Moni, how about putting a pretty cover on the overbed table? We did that for my MIL, a pretty dresser scarf not long enough to be in the way, and it was cheerful. We also clipped one of those reading lights, goose neck type with a big clamp on the base, to the table so she could easily reach it.

Another suggestion .... a queen or king size bedspread or comforter will be wide enough to cover the "hospital look" of the bed. If you don't like the foot board, drape an afghan or a quilt over it. Put a trunk or cedar chest at the foot of it. That will help "soften" the look, too. Or one of those benches that you see at the foot of beds would be nice, and could serve as a place for a visitor to sit for a while.

I'm enjoying the beginning of fall, but I've noticed for the first time in many years, the early morning and late evening chill is getting to me a bit. Hmmm. wonder what that's about. Maybe my body just isn't adjusting as quickly as it used to.

I know what you mean about decorating. Unless I'm having company, I don't do much. It seems like a lot of effort for myself!

moni said...

Wonderful suggestions Lyn. I do have my queen size quilt on my bed and it has matching curtains, so looks pretty good. I do need a chair or two. The reading light is just what I need, so I will arrange that. My dresser and nightstands help soften the room too. Thank you so very much for your thoughts and your helpful suggestions.

~mel said...

Moni~ I glad to hear that you've taken the steps to help make things easier for yourself and for those around you. Nice suggestions from Lyn.
Also... very happy to hear that you have the dogs and kitties ... and that they are family too.

I'm not happy to hear though about the advances of the chf. I hate chf ~ there isn't a damn thing you can really do about it; except what you are doing ~ and that's accepting it and dealing with it one day at a time.
From one chf'er to another ... HUGS and hang in there! LOVE YOU GIRL!!!

moni said...

Many thanks Mel..and I know you are dealing with chf too and that you are way too young to have to deal with it. Hopefully in a few years they will have a good solution so that you will not have to worry about any old chf.