Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lovely Weather




Fall is definitely in the air, even though the temps don't truly reflect this. It is 85 today but partly cloudy with breeze gusts so when one is in the shade, the temp feels just wonderful. Our kitties love being on our front porch which is screened in. They watch the birds and anything else that moves.

I've been trying to call our fiend David's home for a week now, with no answers. He must be either in a hospital or staying with family. Nobody answers the phone at his house. We hope that he is comfortable. I am so glad that I have been lucky enough to have the time to plan out my end of life. I am slowly but surely arranging my life so that I will be comfortable without being too much of a burden on family. I am getting a power wheelchair so that I can navigate from room to room without someone hanging on to me, lol. I am going to order a hospital bed so that it will help me position myself for comfort when I need it and I guess I will get oxygen delivered next week after a pulmonary eval. I have a tv within reach of my bed and next thing I am going to do is clean out my closet and get rid of a lot of old clothes that I never wear and stock up on some comfort clothes suitable for in home and resting. David's illness hit him so fast, that he didn't have time to think of anything. I may be around for a couple of years, but I feel the need to take care of business. I feel lucky to have most of my wits about me,and I want to take care of stuff while I am able.

About my funeral, well, the family and the mortuary can figure it out, nothing religious for sure but since I don't really believe in funerals, they can all just keep it simple as possible.

10 comments:

Lynilu said...

Not fun plans, eh. But so necessary. I'm glad you're planning ahead, so you will have a say in it, rather than having everyone around you just do whatever. Not that anyone would be unkind about the choices, but it's so much nicer when we make our own way.

My weather is sitting at 75° with nice breezes and partially cloudy. it's a beautiful day, soft and sweet. :) Enjoy the rest of your day, Moni.

moni said...

Thanks Lyn and you are having a perfect day. Yes, I am not really a controlling person, but I do want to do whatever I can to make life easier for everyone..the nurse in me lives on, lol

~mel said...

"the nurse in me lives on" ~ ahhh Moni ~ I think it's good that you're getting things in order BUT... that doesn't mean you quit living! I can certainly understand though the part of you wanting to make things easier for everyone. I hope you get word on David soon. Take care and enjoy that wonderful weather you're having.

moni said...

Mel, I plan to keep on living as long and as well as I can. I just don't want to wait too long;Just want to be physically and mentally able to do those things necessary for me and for my family.

Jim said...

Moni--what depressing book have you been reading, or was it some girl-flick:). I thought you were still planning a space trip!

Jim

Jim said...

Beside! We're the only two liberals left!



boozoa ---- finally a helpful hint from word verification

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
moni said...

Oh Jim, it is so good to hear from you. I hope you are well. I have been concerned about you Most of my friends are Liberal with a couple of exceptions Jim! No, I haven't been reading anything depressing, just had a long-time friend get very ill, very fast. He was so surprised and shocked to find out that he was dying. I just don't want to be hit like that.

Jim said...

Moni -- the deleted comment was me, it was a duplicate.

What I learned taking care of mother and my aunt:

Medicare will only pay for one walker, insist on the kind with wheels rather than those wheelless clunkers. With-wheels is a much greater quality of life.

Sign up with a local hospice, one that provides in-home care. You can sign up now and not use it for years.

Home care nurses, on the other hand, are the most expensive thing on the planet. And, hide everything of value. My cousin's even stole all of the food in the pantry and was never seen again.

Have both a Healthcare Power of Attorney and a Durable Power of Attorney. The hospital will want a copy of the former. The latter continues in force after death, making it much easier to deal with banks, SS, IRS, insurance companies, etc. Make multiple copies of both documents -- hospital and the others will accept copies rather than the original. Keep a copy of both in the trunk of the car. Make sure doctor has a copy of both in his/her files. After first visit, hospital will keep both on file, which makes later check-ins much easier.

Tell everyone that if you come to think that it's 1952 to play along and not correct you.

Most complicated to deal with: Savings Bonds -- because you have to go through a bank, and they never seem to know anything. Different bond series E, EE, H, etc) have different types of paperwork. All paperwork requires the bank's offical stamp (different from a notary seal). A bank only has one seal and it's probably kept at the main bank rather than at a branch.

Lifestyle items (bathtub seats, etc.) are best bought from WalMart. WalMart also carries nutritional suppliments in the same section.

Jim

sarWO <-- even word verification is unhappy about all this!

moni said...

Thank you Jim for such excellent advice. Nobody knows like someone who has been through it. I appreciate you help so much. I will follow your instructions to the letter. You are the most kind person Jim.:)