Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hello Dolly

There is thunder rumbling outside today. Yesterday our little Japanese friend was going to come over for lunch and fix us some carne asada tacos, yummy. Anyway, it was getting stormy from the Hurricane, so we had to call it off, :( Now our sky is dark again.

The dogs are not only inside, but hovering near me. They are frightened of thunder. Floyd is on our front porch watching the front move in.

I remember Hurricane Carla in 1961 which came roaring in to the Gulf of Mexico. We lived in Houston and went down to Galveston to watch the storm come in. I was so fascinated by the big black wall coming toward shore, that I didn't realize that the water had come up over the seawall and that I was standing in several inches of water. We just did make it over the bridge and back to Houston before she hit. Massive destruction to homes and beaches and piers. The big hotels stood safe.

The next day my dad and I went to Galveston to survey damage. The seawall was littered with debris and lots of coconuts. He said "they probably came from South America", lol.

So we only get the remnants of the Gulf hurricanes here in Deming, thank goodness.

No comments: